Wednesday, March 19, 2008

2008 - Brickinthebox Mock-Draft - Detroit, BPA vs. Need

Brickinthebox is live on tape delay from an Indianapolis bar across the street from the NFL combine. We secretly taped the conversations that occurred between ourselves and NFL bigwigs to gain some incredible insight into the NFL draft, which we are sharing here with our reader. Warning – Spoilers ahead.

The day was flying bye, I’d managed to get info on 6 more teams by 3pm, and even managed to eat a little chicken before it was confiscated by Romeo. And things were never boring with Romeo around. So I was a little disappointed when he decided that he should head out to get some work done after Lovie left. I used the opportunity to order a sandwich in hopes that I could actually get a whole meal down before he came back.

While I was waiting for my food two men burst through the door, arguing loudly.

Man #1 – I’m the GM, I’ll decide

Man #2 – We’ve tried you way for years, look where its gotten us, I’m making the call.

Man #1 looks at me – Ok how about we ask this guy who will decide.

Man #2 – Works for me.

Man #1 – Excuse me sir, I’m Matt Millen and this is Rod Marinelli, now you see I’m the GM of the Lions and he is the head coach. We are having a little disagreement here. I say that I should choose what we eat for lunch, and he thinks that he should choose what we order.

Brick – Ummmmm, well I don’t know about restaurants in Detroit, but here you can each choose your own meal, here sit down and I’ll walk you through it.

Millen – We can each choose our own meal, we don’t have to have the same thing?

Marinelli – I like this place.

Millen and Marinelli sit down, and I walk them through the process of choosing am item on the menu. Millen insists on ordering the Steak sandwich since it is the 1st thing on the lunch menu.

Millen – I don’t need a steak sandwich, but it is the highest ranked item on the board.

Marinelli orders a cheese quesadilla, he doesn’t give a reason.

While we waited for the food to arrive I asked my standard question.

Brick – So who are you guys looking to draft.

Millen – It all depends on who the best available player is when we pick.
Marinelli – Or the guy who best fills a need

Millen – best available

Marinelli – Fills a need

Millen – best available

Marinelli – Fills a need

Millen – best available

Marinelli – Fills a need

Brick – guys, guys enough…

Millen – best available

Brick – look, here is the list of players I have still available based on the other NFL execs I have talked to, which do you like?

Millen – well I obviously like DeSean Jackson, he is the highest rated guy on the board, and I always say take the best available player.

Marinelli – So help me god, if we take another Wide receiver with out 1st round draft pick I’ll go Ray Lewis on your ass.

Millen – Look at the board Jackson is the best player available. It’s a no brainer.

Marinelli – you are a no brainer. Let me see that list.

Marinelli looks over the list for a couple minutes while Millen looks over the beer menu.

Millen – I’ll take an Amstell Light, its at the top of the chart.

Marinelli – Well, we need a DT but the value just isn’t there, so I guess I’d suggest we select Jonathan Stewart, we need a RB since Jones is always hurt and we need to keep the D off the field to succeed.

Millen – Stewart, but he is the 4th guy on this list. No, we need to take the best player available.

Marinelli – Fills a need

Millen – best available

Marinelli – Fills a need

Millen – best available

Brick – I think I have the answer, you two give me a minute, and your food is here. So eat up, this will only take me a minute.

While they continued their argument between bites I pulled out a blank sheet of paper and quickly jotted down players names, positions and schools. Then crossed out the names of players already selected.

Brick – A new list has come out and I’ve got it here. Mr. Millen would you like to see it?

Millen – Are you kidding, I love lists, let me see.

Matt looks over the list, hands it to Marinelli

Millen – I think we should take Jonathan Stewart since he is the best player available.

Marinelli – I like that choice since he also fills a need.

Millen – you agree with me, really, that’s great, lunch is on me.

Millen gets up and heads to the bar to pay for lunch. While he is gone Marinelli leans over to me and whispers

Marinelli – thank you very much, we should have thought of that years ago. I’m going to go back to Detroit and try to get them to offer you a position on the scouting staff. We need your kind of skills in the war room.

Brick – while that’s a very nice offer, I’m afraid that I couldn’t put up with that nonsense every day.

Millen returns

Millen (looking at me) what have you been eating; the tab was over $600.00.

Brick – Oh, sorry about that, Romeo has been here all day.

Millen – no big deal, I’m putting it on the Lions charge card anyway. Ready Marinelli, I think we can still schedule an interview with Stewart before the end of the day.

Marinelli – I’m done here, thank again for your help.

Brick – no problem, good luck guys.

As Millen and Marinelli head to the door, Romeo comes back in holding two subway bags.

Millen – Romeo, good to see you, I see you went to Subway, I always order the Subway Club, it’s the number 1 sandwich on the board.

Romeo – That’s a sucka move, you got to get the ham fool.

Brickinthebox mock draft:

1. Miami Dolphins – Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
2. St. Louis Rams – Jake Long, OT, Michigan
3. Atlanta Falcons – Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
4. Oakland Raiders – Chris Long, DE, Virginia
5. KC Chiefs – Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.
6. NY Jets - Vernon Gholston, DE/LB Ohio St.
7. NE Patriots – Dan Conner, LB, Penn St.
8. Baltimore Ravens – Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
9. Cincinnati Bengals - Keith Rivers, LB, USC
10. New Orleans Saints - Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
11. Buffalo Bills – Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
12. Denver Broncos - Kenny Philips, S, Miami
13. Carolina Panthers – D. Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tenn. St
14. Chicago Bears - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
15. Detroit Lions - Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

No comments: